Status and GPG processing questions

Richard Edward Horner rich at richhorner.com
Wed Aug 29 01:29:01 UTC 2007

Robb,

Awesome work.

I had actually suspected there might have been an issue with this when
David posted his problem, hence my asking if he was using GPG.

On the --dry-run issue, I think ppl expect it to tell you what would
be done but not do things. If you read the man page for many ppl's
favorite package manager, apt-get, which I think would be a good point
for establishing expected behavior, it says:

--dry-run
No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not
actually change the system.

"No action" is pretty clear but "perform a simulation" isn't exactly
the same as "no action". Sorry, I come from a family of lawyers.

Usually when you do a dry run on something, you just want to quickly
see what it would do, so not invoking GPG would be beneficial cuz it
would be faster and also if you're invoking --dry-run cuz you're
trying to back up a failing disk and you're not sure how many more
read/writes you're gonna get, having it do anything is not good. I
would be inclined to say have it really do nothing more than print
messages to the console. If you want further action, there can be
another flag.

Thanks, Rich(ard)

--
Richard Edward Horner
Engineer / Composer / Electric Guitar Virtuoso
rich at richhorner.com
http://richhorner.com - updated June 28th