Brackup::Target::Sftp

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Sun Jul 6 03:48:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 01:57:16PM +0100, Martin Atkins wrote:
> That's a historical annoyance. Initially Brackup used colons, but then I
> tried to make it work on Windows and hit this issue. By that time there
> were already users with backup targets using colons on UNIX systems, so if
> I changed the default I'd break them. Hence this ridiculous flag. (which,
> in retrospect, should have been called use_filename_colons and defaulted to
> true, I agree. Oh well.)
>
> However, new targets aren't stuck with this legacy, so they can use some
> other symbol as the default.

Yeah. This bit me because I was playing around with trying out filesystem
targets as sftp ones (e.g. do a local filesystem backup, scp to laptop, take
laptop to data centre, scp to server, use as ftp or sftp target). This works
nicely except for the default colon handling being different. I guess target
portability is a pretty obscure use case though (but nice)!

The no_filename_colons arg should probably be noted in the Target::Filesystem
perldocs though - that would have helped.

Cheers,
Gavin