Reusing chunks / brackup server

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 04:29:52 UTC 2009

Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> Given infinite time (or not already having infinite projects to do) it'd
> be fun to make a "brackup server" that would be a brackup target
> (working as a proxy to the real target) and then be the central
> maintainer of the inventorydb.
>
> It'd do sha1 checking of the stored (proxied) data to let you share the
> brackup target with less risk from a rogue user getting access to the
> configuration on one of the sources.

I started working on something like this a while back:
http://code.google.com/p/brackuptargetserver/

However, in the end I just made everything backup to Amazon S3, since
with my data it ended up not being that expensive to sometimes re-upload
the same thing once for each host. (I was backing up lots of small
config files that generally weren't the same from host to host anyway;
the files that were the same were in my svn repo, so I just backed that up.)

I don't really remember what state that code is in, but if you or
someone else would like to work on it I'm happy to give commit access.