gc and encrypted metafiles

Ryan Schlesinger ryan at ryanandmorgan.net
Mon Jan 19 14:24:16 UTC 2009

Stéphane,

That would be fantastic!  There was a thread on this list a few months
back about this exact problem.  We discussed 2 different solutions to
this problem.
1. Moving the decryption code to a shared location and calling it from
both places (your proposed solution).
2. Modifying brackup-target to take a command line switch that tells it
to use local copies of the metadata files (which are not encrypted).

The biggest advantages of #2 are that you don't need to keep private
keys running around and you don't have to prompt for a password which
would enable cron usage.  If we do #2, I also propose to modify the
prune operation to remove the local metadata files as well.

If you look back through the archives I think there are some starting
patches posted.  I don't know if any more work has been done in this
direction of if anything made it upstream.  Can anyone confirm?

Ryan