Brackup::Target::Amazon questions

Kostas Chatzikokolakis kostas at chatzi.org
Thu Jan 7 13:08:45 UTC 2010

Gavin Carr wrote:
> Brackup::Target::Amazon is weird. It doesn't store any of the config items
> in the brackup metafile header like the other targets do - I'm not sure if
> this is by design or just an oversight? I'd have thought it makes sense to
> store all of aws_access_key_id, aws_prefix, aws_location, and backup_prefix
> in the metafile i.e. everything except the aws_secret_access_key. Are there
> security reasons to omit any of these other things from the metafile? Any
> thoughts?

Sounds very reasonable to me to have as much non-sensitive information
as possible. Everything apart from the secret key sounds non-sensitive
to me.

brackup-restore should read those, so that even if you don't have the
config file, you'd need to enter only the secret key.

> It also doesn't reference aws_location or brackup_prefix in
> new_from_backup_header, so I can't see how it's possible to do do a restore
> if you've set either of those. Anyone done an Amazon restore with EU buckets,
> or an explicit brackup_prefix?

I use backup_prefix and restore works fine. From what I understand,
backup_prefix is used only in the filename of the .brackup file stored
on the target. brackup-restore receives the .brackup file locally, so it
shouldn't need it.

Kostas