Kostas Chatzikokolakis' lowmem patches merged

Kostas Chatzikokolakis kostas at chatzi.org
Tue Jan 12 14:18:10 UTC 2010

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for merging the patch. I had started splitting it in parts, but
since you merged it already, it's even better :D I'll have a look to see
if everything looks ok and I'll test as much as possible. Some
clarifications:

About memory usage:

* the biggest memory drop should be when using encryption. In this case
brackup forks and reads many chunks in parallel.
(I'm not sure whether this will show up in the stats though. Gavin, your
stats are only about the parent process or include the memory of child
processes?)

* Without encryption brackup loads at most one chunk in memory (except
for composite chunks, but these are small) so there will still be a drop
in memory usage, but not that much.

About speed

* with encryption there should be also a small speedup, cause the
original version writes both the raw and the encrypted chunk to a
tempfile, the patched version writes only the encrypted chunk.

* without encryption there should be a performance hit because the
original version keeps everything in memory, the patched version writes
chunks to a tempfile (for concurrency issues).

Cheers,
Kostas