digestcache

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Sun Jan 17 22:32:54 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 05:10:48PM -0500, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I just noticed that in rev 283, the following was added to the docs for
> Brackup::DigestCache:
>
>        Having said that, the digest cache is actually pretty important when
>        using encryption. If you lose the cache all your files will need to
> be
>        re-read, re-encrypted, and reloaded to the target, and will result in
>        duplicate storage of all your data, as Brackup can't tell if the data
>        already exists, because encryption makes different files each time.
>  So
>        do look after it. :-)
>
> As far as I can tell, this isn't true (though it is for the
> InventoryDatabase). Am I missing someting?

Good question. That was me refactoring the DigestCache and Dict::SQLite
perldocs to allow for other kinds of dictionaries.

I added that paragraph on the basis of the doc/data-structures.txt, but I think
you're right - that's probably a pre-inventory-db document, and those comments
apply now to the inventory db, not the digest cache. I'll correct.

Cheers,
Gavin