Parser borrowing not XML-compliant

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Sep 22 17:11:52 UTC 2006

Mika Raento wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been playing with djabberd as an option for Jaiku ( www.jaiku.com/
> ), and it seems nicely modifiable. I however got a problem as soon as I
> connected two different clients: we use our own extensions in Jabber,
> with our own namespace which we declare on the stream element.
>
> Now if parsers are borrowed, the parser we get may not have the right
> namespace.

Yikes. That's terrible.

I guess this never got noticed because most clients tend to use the same
prefixes for the same namespaces, and tend to declare most of their
namespaces on the individual XMPP "packets" rather than on the entire
stream.

Not entirely sure how this can be solved, though. I'm not sure how the
parser-sharing works, but I guess what we need to do is track
per-connection what namespace each prefix maps to, and then make sure
that when a parser is "borrowed" it's using the right set of prefixes. I
doubt LibXML would let us screw around with its prefix to namespace
mappings, though. *shrug*

> So what's up with djabberd anyway? Not much traffic on the list.

It went quiet basically because it seems to now do pretty-much all it
needs to as far as the core goes, and no-one's got around to tidying it
up and making a release yet.

However, the above bug is a show-stopper in my opinion as it can't claim
to be XMPP compliant with such a glaring flaw as that.