Bots, components, etc.

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 18:39:44 UTC 2007

Hi Gavin.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I wasn't able to post to this
list over the holiday period.

Gavin Carr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just getting to my first serious playing with djabberd, using svn trunk.
> I've got the basics up nicely - auth, rosters, and vcards - and am now
> trying to play with bots, components, and MUCs, with rather less success.
>
> I'm trying to use djabberd.conf style configuration, but can't figure out
> the proper incantations for things like bots and MUCs. I'm trying to setup
> an eliza at example.com bot in my main vhost, for example, using this:
>
>   <Plugin DJabberd::Bot::Eliza>
>     NodeName eliza
>   </Plugin>
>
> Is this correct? It almost works, and I can add eliza at example.com as a
> buddy and chat away ok, but I'm not getting authorised for presence updates?
> (An older version references DJabberd::Plugin::Bot, but that's no longer in
> svn, so I assume that's obsolete?)

I'm not really all that familiar with the bot code, but a quick scan of
the DJabberd::Bot class suggests to me that it doesn't support
responding to presence subscription requests.

I suspect this is because LiveJournal's bot -- really the only sane bot
implementation right now -- is hardcoded into LiveJournal's
RosterStorage implementation. Adding some code to make bots
automatically respond to subscription requests ought not to be too hard,
though.

> I also tried playing with DJabberd::Component::Example, but that and
> DJabberd::Component suggest this should be used as follows:
>
>   <Plugin DJabberd::Plugin::Component>
>      Subdomain example
>      Class DJabberd::Component::Example
>      Greeting Hello, world!
>   </Plugin>
>
> but DJabberd::Plugin::Component doesn't appear to be in svn?

That's some old, broken documentation you've found there.

Components are now themselves delivery plugins, so you just load them
directly:

<Plugin DJabberd::Component::Example>
     Greeting Hello, world!
</Plugin>

The "subdomain" concept was redesigned, too. To achieve what the example
above set out to do, you'll want this more complete example:

<VHost example.com>
     # Other configuration for example.com here

     <Subdomain example>
         <Plugin DJabberd::Component::Example>
             Greeting Hello, world!
         </Plugin>
     </Subdomain>
</VHost>

It's worth noting that since the documentation in that Example component
is out of date it's possible/likely that the implementation is as well,
so you may find that it doesn't work correctly.

It's also worth noting the currently-undocumented caveat that adding a
Subdomain to a VHost will stop DJabberd from automatically adding the
default set of delivery plugins to that VHost, so you'll need to
explicitly load DJabberd::Delivery::Local and optionally
DJabberd::Delivery::S2S into the example.com VHost above if you aren't
doing so already.

MUC is no longer actually a component, but you load it in the same way
as the component above, just using the name DJabberd::Plugin::MUC. The
MUC support itself is not complete as far as I'm aware, but others on
the mailing list have had some success in using it.