too many open files?

Matt Mankins mankins at media.mit.edu
Sat Jan 27 19:02:03 UTC 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> What's your ulimit's fd limit at?

open files                      (-n) 1024

> When this happens, how many open files are in /proc/<pid>/fd/ ?
> And where
> are they for?
>
> Or, rather, what's the output of "lsof -p <djabberd-pid>" ?

The next time it happens, I'll check.  Last time I did lsof and it
didn't seem too big, but had nothing to compare it with.  I guess I
should have compared that with 1024, huh?

The Djabberd process has been behaving quite nicely since then, with
very little resources used. Incidentally, this is a xen guest machine
and djabberd is running as its own user.

Will post to the list if I find anything definitive.  Thanks for the
help.

Mankins