Expose Multiple Resources

Jason Salaz jason at zenenet.com
Tue Jul 24 15:06:18 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
> Jason Salaz wrote:
> >
>  > I would imagine that the problem is that the server doesn't allow
>  > presence to<->from oneself, or something like that that.
>
> Do you know how this is supposed to work at the protocol level? If
> you're not sure then I'll try to figure it out myself, of course. :)

I'm not entirely sure.  I'm looking through rfc3920, but that's
intermingled with tending to my day job as well, so I may not get to
the bulk of it until tonight.

What I do know is that I don't have any subscription to myself. i.e.
My JID isn't on my own roster as a subscription.  Yet, GTalk still
passes my own presence from another resource along whenever I sign on.
(Ditto for various other jabber servers I've used in the past,
jabber.org (jabberd2), internal installations of ejabberd and
jabberd2, I think GameTap used Wildfire (hopefully Openfire by now),
so that base is covered too...)

I send my presence to the server:
<presence>
<priority>1</priority>
<c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps"
node="http://psi-im.org/caps" ver="0.11-dev-rev8" ext="cs ep-notify
html" />
</presence>

And the first result is always me.
<presence from="vxjasonxv at gmail.com/picardA1B73DD1"
to="vxjasonxv at gmail.com/MiniMacOfDE1636F22" >
<show>xa</show>
<status>Auto Status (idle)</status>
<priority>0</priority>
<c xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/caps"
node="http://psi-im.org/caps" ver="0.11-dev-rev8" ext="cs ep-notify
html" />
<x xmlns="vcard-temp:x:update">
<photo>c7427bda54a0ce7028c16a1defce824aa939e046</photo>
</x>
</presence>

Then the rest of my friends then follow from there.

Should I forward this over to the jdev list? I think there'd be at
least a few people there who can give a detailed breakdown of the
server's responsibilities and how users with multiple resources play
out. :)