remote chatroom joining

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 20:43:30 UTC 2007

Clive Holloway wrote:
[snip]

> But I don't see a comment anywhere on how to deal with a service on a
> remote host.
>
> ie, if "domainname.com" resolves through DNS, and "service" is running
> on "domainname.com", "service.domainname.com" doesn't need to resolve
> in DNS because it's actually "service" @ "domainname.com", but that's
> not how the DNS lookup is approaching it.

I don't believe that the correct behavior is what you have described.

service.domainname.com and service at domainname.com are two distinct JIDs.
If JIDs in service.domainname.com are to be accessible by S2S, then a
SRV record must be published for
     _xmpp-server._tcp.service.domainname.com

or alternatively, you could publish a record like:
     service.domainname.com. IN CNAME domainname.com.
assuming you already have the relevant A record published for
domainname.com and you're using the standard S2S port.