Subscribing to an LJ Talk roster from another server

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 02:01:45 UTC 2008

Michael Rogers wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a djabberd issue or a livejournal-specific
> issue, so I apologise if this is the wrong list.
>
> I've been having trouble subscribing to a livejournal account's presence
> from a non-livejournal account or vice versa, although it's possible for
> two livejournal accounts or two non-livejournal accounts to subscribe to
> each other's presences (I've tested every combination of
> livejournal.com, jabber.org and gmail.com).
>
> As far as I understand it the message flow should look like this:
>
> A -> B: subscribe  (A asks to subscribe to B's presence)
> A <- B: subscribed (B allows the request)
> A <- B: subscribe  (B asks to subscribe to A's presence)
> A -> B: subscrubed (A allows the request)
>
> With two livejournal accounts or two non-livejournal accounts that's
> exactly what I see, and the accounts can subsequently chat with each
> other. But with one livejournal account and one non-livejournal account,
> the 'subscribe' and 'subscribed' messages are leaving the livejournal
> client but never reaching the non-livejournal client.
>
> I see the same behaviour regardless of whether the clients use Pidgin or
> the Smack library, and all combinations of non-livejournal accounts are
> working, so I think it's a livejournal server issue - is djabberd
> blocking outgoing subscribe/subscribed messages for some reason?

I have a few non-LJ accounts on my LJ roster, though I added them so
long ago I can't tell you how I did it.

Note that you can view the source for the plugins that provide the LJ
Talk integration into DJabberd:
http://code.sixapart.com/trac/djabberd/browser/trunk/DJabberd-LiveJournal

This file is particularly interesting:
http://code.sixapart.com/trac/djabberd/browser/trunk/DJabberd-LiveJournal/lib/DJabberd/Plugin/LiveJournal.pm

I notice that it does some mangling of presence stanzas, so perhaps it's
mangling the subscribe/subscribed stanzas and preventing them from
getting transmitted.