VCard.pm sends vcards to anyone

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 21:20:13 UTC 2008

Adrian Ulrich wrote:
> While writing a VCard-Plugin it came to my attention that djabberd sends out vcards
> to anyone (no subscription needed at all).
>
> While this might be acceptable for an 'inhouse' server, it's a pretty big issue for a public jabber server.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?

I'm not sure what the "correct" behavior is here. Most Jabber clients
I've seen have a button in their "Add Contact" UI to request the VCard
of a contact you're adding before you've added them, presumably so that
you can check that you've got the right person. Therefore there must be
some precedent for vCards to be public.

LiveJournal's "LJ Talk" service synthesizes a vCard from each user and
makes it public, but it contains only information that was already
public on the user's web-based profile page.

I'd be interested to hear what other implementations do, since this
would seem to me to be more of a per-user preference than something we
can actually decide one way or another.