VCard.pm sends vcards to anyone

Adrian Ulrich slack at blinkenlights.ch
Wed Jan 30 20:01:48 UTC 2008

> LiveJournal's "LJ Talk" service synthesizes a vCard from each user and
> makes it public, but it contains only information that was already
> public on the user's web-based profile page.

Ok, with such a use-case it's perfectly valid to send vcards to anyone.

But for a mail provider with a jabber-server (such as gmail / gmx) this
would be a big no-no.

> I'd be interested to hear what other implementations do, since this
> would seem to me to be more of a per-user preference than something we
> can actually decide one way or another.

Google doesn't send vcards to unauthorized users:

<vCard xmlns="vcard-temp" prodid="-//HandGen//NONSGML vGen v1.0//EN" version="2.0" />
 <error type="cancel" code="503" >
 <service-unavailable xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
</error>

Well.. IMO djabberd would just need a simple configuration option such as 'SendVcardsToAnyone false'

Regards,
 Adrian