Jingle support?

Josh Hanna sohjer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 04:31:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:34:24 -0500, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>
wrote:

> On 6/23/10 9:14 PM, Martin Atkins wrote:
>> Josh Hanna wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does Djabberd support any sort of file transfer services (like
>>> Jingle)?  If not,
>>> where would I start to implement the extension?  The project I'm
>>> working will
>>> require sending large files via XMPP, and I'd prefer to do it in perl.
>>>

>> Isn't jingle a client-to-client protocol?
>
> Correct.
>
>> I'm not sure what special
>> support a server would need to enable jingle. Would you mind providing a
>> little more information about what you're trying to do?
>
> The only I can think of on the server side is a media relay to be used
> for NAT traversal in some situations.
>
> Peter

Both of you are exactly right.  I didn't quite understand that when I
first sent the email.  Now, my current plan is to create a perl wrapper
for libjingle using SWIG.  Once I'm done with that, I'll start my work on
the project proper; an implementation of FIPA agents for a multiagent
system.  I'm planning on using a XMPP server to relay the messages between
various agents as part of the system.  I hope to use this system as a base
for several bioinformatics tools.  I'm currently a graduate student
studying bioinformatics (who came from more of a biology standpoint), so
my understanding of software development is still underwhelming, so thanks
for the help!

Josh