XMPP group chat with djabberd

HoWe nackas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 20:25:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Artem Harutyunyan <hartem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to have something similar to a dynamic 'mailing list' on my
> djabberd server. Ideally I would like to configure a meta-address (say
> 'service at mydomain.com') which will be used to distribute (forward)
> messages to several other JIDs. The subscription and un-subscription
> from the list is needed to be made on the fly.
>

>From my understanding of publish/subscribe
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html), I think pubsub is just the
thing. djabberd lacks pubsub-support, and from what I've read there's
also none or bad support for pubsub in clients.

> It seemed to me that chat rooms provide similar functionality, so I
> have tried to run the mu-conference. However I've got some problems.
> In the log file I see messages like this:

I had similar problems with mu-conference and gave up.

[ - - - ]

> I have also seen that in SVN there is a DJabberd plugin called
> DJabberd-MUC (http://code.sixapart.com/trac/djabberd/browser/trunk/DJabberd-MUC)
> but it has been updated for the last time 4 years ago and I am not
> sure if the plugin is still supported. Does any of you have experience
> using it? Would you recommend using it?

I use DJabbed-MUC at work, about 50-60 clients and it works great. The
MUC support is a little bit on the simple side though. No persistence,
no affiliate/role-handling . . .
I have patched Room.pm with a handle-priv-mess-in-rooms thing, pretty
much the same thing that was posted to the list the other day.

/H