More workers = Slower?

Joe Stump joe at digg.com
Wed Dec 26 19:28:11 UTC 2007

So I'm seeing bizarre results with Gearman. I've got two gearmand's
running and 20 workers running. I run 20 SQL queries in parallel via
Gearman and it takes an average of 60-65ms to run those queries. I
then drop the number of workers down to 5 workers and the same script
takes about 45ms to run. If I up the number of workers to 100 things
get even worse with the average time jumping to 195ms.

Anyone seen similar issues? How many workers should I be running per
instance of gearmand? It seems ludicrous to me that I can only run 5
workers per gearmand server ...

--Joe