Multiple delete

Jon Valvatne valvatne@pvv.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:15:44 +0100

I believe the issue has been addressed previously on this list, but the
only answer I saw was that there wouldn't be a big win involved in
implementing this. I'm wondering if I could get that statement
qualified:

Let's say updating a certain item in the database invalidates several
hundred fairly large items in memcached. Would it not be beneficial to
issue the needed deletions as a single command? I'm new to memcached and
haven't looked very closely at the internals yet, so I may be
overestimating the penalties involved in performing large numbers of
separate transactions. Or is it just generally a _bad idea_ to put
yourself in the situation where you have to invalidate such large
numbers of items with each update?

Thanks in advance,

Jon Valvatne