Multiple delete

Richard 'toast' Russo russor@msoe.edu
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:24:27 -0800 (PST)

[snip]

> Of course I don't know for sure how much would be gained, since I
> haven't looked at the internals; which is why my initial message was
> phrased as a question and not just a simple feature request.
>
> Jon

[snip]

I think the gains would be similar to the gains for a multiple get... In
the multiple get, the main speed up is from reducing latency. If you have
to do sequential deletes, you have to wait for each delete to return from
the server. And if you're doing 100 deletes, that's a significant amount
of time.

Where it might not be practical is that the delete command has options,
but the get command doesn't. So it has to be decided if each key to be
deleted gets it's own time, or if they all take the same one, and how do
we determine if the last option is a key or the deletion time.

Also the return from the delete command would need to be expanded, even
though i'd bet nobody checks that.