memcached subscription notification

Larry Leszczynski Larry Leszczynski <larryl@furph.com>
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:15:57 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Feel free to post to the list if you have questions.... everybody's
> friendly and helpful.  :)

Thanks, Brad.  Now that you mention it, I do have some FAQish questions
that I didn't see answers to after a quick scan of the web site and list
archives.  Sorry if they're remedial but I just learned about memcache (on
the mod_perl list) and wanted to get a basic idea of what it does and how
it works:

1) It looks like the client initializes with a list of servers it knows
about, how do those servers communicate with each other (assuming they do)
so they stay consistent with each other?

2) Assuming the servers have some mechanism to stay in sync, is there a
way to clear the cache across all of them and start from a clean
state?

3) I can see why you'd run memcache daemons on multiple machines, but what
would be the motivation for running more than one daemon on a single
machine?

Thanks,
Larry Leszczynski
larryl@furph.com