Intro

Richard Jones rj@audioscrobbler.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:22:46 +0100

Hi all,
it's high time i joined this list :)

We're using memcached for www.last.fm to store PHP objects.
We are also using it in our Java streaming server for a few things, so i'm
hoping to be able to help test/debug the Java (and PHP) clients

Recently we have been setting info in memcached from our java streaming server
so that it can be read out using PHP. This allows the website to see which
users are connected, and what they are streaming. We used to do this in a
database - which involved a db hit every page load to check if a user is
streaming.

i noticed that keys are examined to decide which of the available memcached
servers to use to store them - i may be wrong, but i think that the java and
PHP clients sometimes come to different decisions on which server to use
given the same key. Anyone noticed this sort of behaviour?

I guess using memcached to pass data from a java app to a php website is a
rather perverted thing to want to do, anyhow if i find the problem i'll post
a solution :)

Regards,
Richard