Libevent error 'Bad File Descriptor'

Sara Sioux sara@melodramatic.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:37:32 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C398AA.070BC520

Dear List,

I am currently trying to implement memcached in a testing environment to
see how it performs on my website www.melodramatic.com.  I've been
having terrible speed and db overload issues, so I'm hoping memcached
will help in this respect.

Unfortunately, implementation is a nightmare!

After finally getting libevent and memcached to act like they've been
installed correctly, I try running memcached with the following command
line:

memcached -vv -d -m 512 -l 10.0.0.100 -p 1337

It returns immediately with:

<3 server listening
memcached: kevent: Bad file descriptor

Now, the error seems simple enough, but I cannot for the life of me
figure out what I need to do in order to have a good file descriptor in
this situation.  I haven't found any documentation or similar threads to
help explain what I've done wrong. Something tells me it's a problem
with how I configured libevent, but I have been unable through trial and
error to figure out how I should be configuring libevent differently.

I'm attempting to install this on a FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p4 system.  Any
help and suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated.

Much Love,
Sara

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C398AA.070BC520

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.4630.0">
<TITLE>Libevent error 'Bad File Descriptor'</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dear List,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am currently trying to implement =
memcached in a testing environment to see how it performs on my website =
</FONT><A HREF=3D"file://www.melodramatic.com"><U><FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">www.melodramatic.com</FONT></U></A><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">.&nbsp; I've been having terrible speed and db overload =
issues, so I'm hoping memcached will help in this respect.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Unfortunately, implementation is a =
nightmare!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">After finally getting libevent and =
memcached to act like they've been installed correctly, I try running =
memcached with the following command line:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">memcached -vv -d -m 512 -l 10.0.0.100 =
-p 1337</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">It returns immediately with:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&lt;3 server listening</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">memcached: kevent: Bad file =
descriptor</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Now, the error seems simple enough, but =
I cannot for the life of me figure out what I need to do in order to =
have a good file descriptor in this situation.&nbsp; I haven't found any =
documentation or similar threads to help explain what I've done =
wrong&#8230; Something tells me it's a problem with how I configured =
libevent, but I have been unable through trial and error to figure out =
how I should be configuring libevent differently.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm attempting to install this on a =
FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p4 system.&nbsp; Any help and suggestions would be =
HUGELY appreciated.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Much Love,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sara</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C398AA.070BC520--