Linux sometimes kernel panics when starting memcached... (eek)

Justin Matlock jmat@shutdown.net
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:41:37 -0400

Ah.. yes. I should have mentioned that.

Clients are connecting to the memcached I started.  It runs for about 3
minutes before the kernel panic.  The data is usually in 1-2k chunks, and
I'm not storing very much in there ... maybe 5-10 mb at the most has been
stored before it dies.   I have memcached set to use 512mb RAM.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anatoly Vorobey" <mellon@pobox.com>
To: <memcached@lists.danga.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Linux sometimes kernel panics when starting memcached... (eek)

> Justin,
>
> You wrote on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:12:35PM -0400:
> > This is the strangest thing I've seen...
> >
> > I just upgraded two of my webservers to Linux 2.4.22, virgin, which I
then patched with the ipvs and the epoll patches; both applied cleanly,
without rejections.  The servers work fine, until I start up memcached --
and every single time, the machines will kernel panic (aiee!) within 3
minutes.  If I don't start memcached, the machine runs fine for hours --
until I get bored waiting for it to kernel panic, and I start memcached..
*boom*.

> > I have no idea how memcached could be causing this, unless there's
something funky about the epoll patch (that's written for 2.4.21, but it
merges clean into 2.4.22).