Linux sometimes kernel panics when starting memcached... (eek)

Anatoly Vorobey mellon@pobox.com
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:44:21 +0300

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 04:41:37PM -0400, Justin Matlock wrote:
> Ah.. yes. I should have mentioned that.
>
> Clients are connecting to the memcached I started.  It runs for about 3
> minutes before the kernel panic.  The data is usually in 1-2k chunks, and
> I'm not storing very much in there ... maybe 5-10 mb at the most has been
> stored before it dies.   I have memcached set to use 512mb RAM.

Well, the next question is kinda obvious ;)

Can you try running memcached on one of these machines w/o letting it
take any traffic (for example, by starting it on a different port than
your clients are trying to connect to, using the -p command line
switch), and see if it causes the kernel to panic? (it really shouldn't,
but who knows).

Overall this seems very much like an epoll problem.

--
avva