libevent and epoll

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:25:56 -0700 (PDT)

You don't need 2.6 for epoll; there's a 2.4 backport of it that works
beautifully.  It's just a small kernel patch away.

Building libevent with epoll support is trickier than rebuilding the
kernel... you have to mess with some headers in /usr/include/, but it's
fine.

I've been meaning to put up the latest binary, too, with a libevent
epoll bugfix that's not in 0.7a..  I'll keep this email in my inbox as a
reminder to that.  In the meantime, apply the little epoll patch to your
2.4 box and don't worry about using select/poll.

Select/poll do work, but epoll is so much more impressive, especially with
large numbers of connections.