Strange performance numbers

Ryan Mack rmack@mackman.net
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry I didn't file a more comprehensive bug report.  I'm running:

MemCachedClient 1.0.7
libevent 0.7a
mod_perl 1.28
postgresql 7.3.4
apache_1.3.28
memcached 1.1.8
perl 5.6.1

All perl modules (DBI, DBD::Pg) are the latest from CPAN as of yesterday.

My server is a single P4 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 1x 7200 RPM IDE HD, running all of
the above software as well as Apache Bench which I am using for the
performance testing.  I know running so much on a single underpowered
computer is less than ideal, but that's all we can afford at this point.

My results for using memcached vs strait PostgreSQL requests for either
session lookup and search lookup are as follows:

10000 Requests/Iteration, 100 Concurrent Connections, Units Requests/Sec

Cached	Iter 1	Iter 2	Iter 3
Both	127.77	193.03	193.22
None	110.82	188.78	186.34
Sess	108.43	173.49	173.20
Search	132.36	201.69	200.78

The first iteration is after an apache graceful reload and should be
ignored.  The second and third iterations are reasonably stable.

I think that in my situation, memcached does not offer much of a
performance advantage.  If our project is successful and we can move to a
multi-server configuration where the DB is on a separate server I will
re-evaluate using memcached.

-Ryan