Spreading key/value pairs across multiple memcached servers

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Wed Dec 1 09:18:42 PST 2004

> Okay, one last question before the sales pitch (which is looking good
> anyway):
>
> Since the client accepts a list of what servers to talk to, I'm
> assuming that when you put a new memcached server up, you have to
> modify your code to pass the new server to your client, right?

<formal_answer>Yes.</formal_answer>

<informal_answer>Though at the moment, via libmemcache(3), I've got
server lists stored in a shared memory segment and can modify the
server list for an entire host from the command line.  I haven't had
too much time to play with this yet, but I think that's going to be the
future for client libraries: having a global server list that's
maintained outside of the application.</informal_answer>  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden