Transparent failover and restore?

Kevin A. Burton burton at newsmonster.org
Sun Dec 19 17:30:06 PST 2004

Greg Whalin wrote:

> Though, how often do you see motherboards and memory fail on running
> machines.  Not that often in my experience.

Very often in my experience.. the more commodity servers means the more
components that can fail. Murphy is a harsh mistress...

At any point in time any component could fail and the cluster should not
notice....

> Given you don't really need a drive in a memcached server, seems much
> less likely that you will see hardware failure in a memcached server
> compared to the average.  In all, it seems pretty unlikely that a
> memcache machine will fail, and given the cheap cost, one can build a
> pretty large cluster limiting the total percentage of cache lost if
> one of these servers does fail.

Accidents happen.  We had one of our admins hit the power switch to the
bottom 1/2 of one of our racks. I want my software smart enough to
handle and recover from any problem.  Makes my job a lot easier ;)

Read the Google cluster architecture.  Machines fail and they take their
time replacing them.

Kevin

get a free iPod!