benchmarking Perl client hash functions

Brad Fitzpatrick brad@danga.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:34:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Larry Leszczynski wrote:
> > I think if we switch, the thing we switch to should be required, or the
> > caller must explicitly choose their hashing scheme (when they provide
> > more than one server?).
>
> I don't think it would be a big deal to require String::CRC32, it's small
> and trivial to build.  Re: your previous post, I think there could some
> advantages to having all the different language clients using the same
> hashing scheme.

How about we try and make every client either use CRC32 or optionally
support CRC32.  The defaults can be whatever, as long as CRC32 can be
switched to.

Some languages (PHP, Java, Ruby?) seem to have their own fast internal
hashes available, so let's not interfere with their fast code for
non-mixed cases.

- Brad