problems with PHP and memcached

Steve Simitzis steve@saturn5.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:54:14 -0700

On 06/07/04, DJ Matlock <jmat@shutdown.net> wrote:

> Hate to break it to you, but that error doesn't have anything to do with the
> memcached client.

well, the error isn't *produced* by the memcached client, but that's not
to say that the client isn't stuffing in data in such a way that the
error is triggered. hence i'm posting here, to see if anyone has had a
similar experience or may be familiar with any related bugs. that's the
purpose of these kinds of lists, yeah? ;)

> I would strongly recommend thinking about dropping the PHP-script clients
> and moving to the PECL PHP client -- it's actually a PHP module that
> compiles as a module into PHP -- it's a lot faster, and much less buggy.
> The two PHP-script clients were never really finished and both seem to have
> quite a few weird bugs... And both authors seem to have dropped off the
> planet.

i'm familiar with the PECL client, but it lacks documentation (unless
someone can point me to it), and in looking through the source and the
included example code, it wasn't clear in the slightest whether or not
the client would support connecting to memcacheds running on multiple
machines. so, i chose a client that had docs and overtly supported all
of the features i wanted to use.

the PECL client's example php code connected to only one memcached, and
in trying the code out (using reasonable guesses), i wasn't able to connect
to multiple servers. anyone know if it's possible, or if there are any
docs anywhere to be found?