Updated C client, performance, etc...

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Fri Nov 12 17:02:49 PST 2004

>> Yeah, I know it's strange.  Most people care about having their code
>> included in commercial products, I could care less.  I care about
>> making sure my bits stay out of GPL software.  I can't use GPL bits
>> because of their license[1], so why should I return the favor?
>
> How is this different from proprietary?    If you're BSDing, you're
> allowing
> proprietary forks.   Why not allow a GPL fork?

A real proprietary fork will result integration into a product by a
company.  That company will probably not want to retain the fixes (cost
of maintenance, desire for reciprocity, etc.) and will kick the fix
back to the main public tree.  A GPL project will likely not submit the
change back to the BSD tree under a BSD license because of some damned
fool of an ideological crusade.

Wouldn't you and the rest of the PostgreSQL developers be a tad happier
if the PostGIS project was contributing its changes back to PostgreSQL?
  I'd love to have GIS extensions in PostgreSQL, but I won't use PostGIS
because it's GPL'ed.  I'm not about to integrate a GPL software project
into my commercial product.  The GPL discriminates against capitalist
entities that innovate.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden