libmemcache and pgmemcache...

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Tue Nov 16 13:24:09 PST 2004

Howdy.  Last night I gave a presentation on pgmemcache and libmemcache
to the San Francisco PostgreSQL User Group.  For the interested
parties, the presentation is available at:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/pgmemcache.pdf

In it I talk about:

* the weaknesses of RDBMSs
* the over reliance of application developers on RDBMSs
* then need for data caching and how memcached can be used
* the limitations of memcached
* libmemcache(3) API walk through
* Using pgmemcache
* pgmemcache API walk through

That said, pgmemcache can be found at:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/

pgmemcache requires libmemcache 1.0RC2.  There are a handful of changes
in libmemcache worth noting.  The API changed and doesn't follow the
protocol in terms of argument order (instead it now pushes least used
flags to the end of function calls), stopped using err(3) and am now
returning error codes, and renumbered a few error codes (negative
numbers == system failure, postive numbers == protocol/operational
error).

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/libmemcache/

Please let me know if you have any questions.  The installation isn't
automated for either yet (need to write some pmk goo), but it's
extremely functional.

For all of the PostgreSQL people who whine about wanting query caching
like MySQL, databases shouldn't do query caching, nevermind that query
caching doesn't work well for dynamic data sets.  Use memcache and
pgmemcache.  Let PostgreSQL manage the data in your memcache cluster.
:)

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden