debugging the server on OS X

Dave Roe david_roe at mac.com
Tue Nov 23 23:18:17 PST 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 1:34 PM, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> It's most certainly a libevent(3) "problem."  kqueue(2) on OS-X is
> crippled from what I can tell.  I think (though I haven't tested this)
> that if you used poll(2) or even select(2), you'd get better
> performance.  There are some environment variables that libevent(3)
> listens to in order to choose what event method to use.  Now, if
> changing that doesn't fix things, then it's probably a problem with
> OS-X's TCP_NOPUSH implementation.  :(  -sc

I have tried a couple of other things. I first re-installed libevent.
What was noticeable was that, when running the tests, the last two take
a significant amount of time to complete (a few seconds): test-eof and
test-weof run quickly, but test-time and regress take longer to
complete. this is the case for these two tests for KQUEUE, POLL and
SELECT (the others are skipped).

I downloaded 370MB of Xcode tools to get gcc installed on another
laptop running 10.3.4, but noticed no difference in the outcome of any
of my tests.

Does anyone else notice slow tests as above when running "make" on
libevent 0.9 under OS X?

/dave