memcached for win32, new java api

Greg Whalin gwhalin at meetup.com
Mon Nov 29 09:59:29 PST 2004

Hmmm, not sure why one would want the added overhead of running a
windows server for a memcached server?!

Concerning the java client, this is definitely outdated.  A new version
was released in early Sept (http://www.whalin.com/memcached/).  The
current java client does use a connection pool (though not the one from
Jakarta).  Did not see any point in spawning worker threads at the
client level as it seems that better to handle parallelism at a higher
layer in the code, especially given the fact that we are using a pool
and thus should not end up blocking on any network activity.  Perhaps
having a load-multi would be a useful method to add to the API, and
there I could see a benefit to spawing threads to store data.  But, for
retrieving, a getMulti method is gonna be better I think than spawning a
ton of threads.  I would definitely love to see their client (assuming
it is open) as they may have some good ideas to add into the current
java client.

Greg