A C client for memcached

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Thu Oct 28 15:22:06 PDT 2004

Couple things:

-- a Ruby client already exists.  (mail ged at danga.com)

-- the memcached server list propogation is a very real problem,
   but there's an even worse one which involves re-hashing and
   nodes flapping.  See the archives for the proposed fixed, which
   solves both problems.  In a nutshell, you run 1-3 trackers which
   own the server list, and instead of hashing to 10 servers clients
   hash to 1024 or 2048 "virtual buckets", and servers own virtual
   buckets.  this also means you can add more memcached servers over
   time, spreading the load.  whenever the client talks to a server
   and does a command, it includes what virtual bucket it's talking
   about and the server replies "NOT_OWNER" if it doesn't own that
   virtual bucket, which triggers the client to re-contact a tracker
   for the updated server list and virtual bucket ownership map.

- Brad