Memcached crashing on FreeBSD

Brad Fitzpatrick brad at danga.com
Fri Apr 8 13:36:55 PDT 2005

Could you run a debug build and run gdb in screen, then run your runner
script in another window, waiting to start it up once the other one
crashes?

I guess it wouldn't start up until the crashed one (still alive in gdb)
closes its listening socket on port 11211.   Is there a gdb command to
make a program close all its sockets on crash?

Or in gdb just type "run <args>" and then once it starts, immediately type
"bt<enter>" so it'll backgrace on crash.  In another window, run a script
to every second check if memcached isn't responding, and if not, kill gdb
(it already did its backtrace presumably) and then run your normal runner.

I'm down for other suggestions, though.