Memcached crashing on FreeBSD

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Mon Apr 11 09:50:13 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:37:40AM -0700, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Anatoly Vorobey wrote:
>
> > It's normal for memcache to fail to allocate a new slab with
> > malloc(); in this case malloc() should just return an error, but
> > it aborts on your system, probably due to your configuration of
> > /etc/malloc.conf . See malloc(3). You can try running memcached
> > with MALLOC_OPTIONS set to "a"; that should override your
> > /etc/malloc.conf settings if that's the problem.
>
> Can a program change the a/A flag, essentially telling libc that we can
> handle memory failures gracefully?

Yes, I think that's what the _malloc_options global variable is for;
see
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=malloc&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

We could do something like _malloc_options="a";  guarded by #ifdef's
for FreeBSD. It seems like this would solve the problem, although I
don't have a ready access to a FreeBSD box to try it.

[or maybe "ax", seeing as the "X" option also causes malloc to abort
in case allocation fails. Yes, _malloc_options="ax" seems like the
thing to try].

--
avva
"There's nothing simply good, nor ill alone" -- John Donne