atomic get-then-delete command

Mathias Herberts mathias.herberts at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 22:43:00 PDT 2005

Hi Scott,

it seems to me that a real consume command would need memcached to
have the ability to store different objects under the same key, that
is manage a real queue. Right now only one object can be stored under
a single key and that is one short message queue!

Or maybe use two additional keys, one for a produced counter, the
other for a consumed counter, and add the counter value to the name of
the queue to get a key for the next message to retrieve.

With a little tweaking I guess memcached could be turned into a poor man's MOM.

Mathias.