Server Selection

Alex Stapleton alexs at advfn.com
Thu Dec 8 14:51:31 UTC 2005

On 8 Dec 2005, at 13:35, Greg Whalin wrote:

> Alex Stapleton wrote:

>>> why not just add something like
>>>
>>> memcache_sort_severs()
>>>
>>> so that if people want to ensure they are always in the same
>>> order,  they can really easily?
>>  *tries again with better spelling*
>> What I mean, is you could just add a single method which sorts
>> the  server list for the user when it's called. That way they can
>> do weird  ordering tricks if they really want to. It's not like it
>> really  *needs* to reduce flexibility. It could always be some
>> sort of  toggleable option as well, so that you use the original
>> or sorted  server list at will if you want to mix the two
>> behaviours without  having to recreat the server list.
>

> As I see it, this would increase complexity without need.  I still
> can see no reason that something like this would ever be needed?

Well if it's enabled by default and is set up as a toggleable flag
then depending on the default (sort the list?) people who want it
sorted (presumably most of them) would not have to worry about
changing any code, and it would just-work (tm). Anyone crazy enough
to want to do use different server list orders can always disable it
and do their crazy crap.

As nobody has requested to actually be able to user different orders
and there isn't a particularly obvious reason to want to do it
anyway, it doesn't seem unreasonable to just be lazy about it and
just automatically sort it and not let people disable that behaviour
until someone comes up with a compelling reason to do it differently.