Using memcached to cache subversion meta-data

christopher at baus.net christopher at baus.net
Thu Feb 3 00:46:14 PST 2005

Hi all,

I just thought I would let you know that I've found a unique use for
memcached.  I'm using it to cache subversion meta-data queries.  This
isn't a large scale scalability problem like those running massive sites
like livejournal and meetup.  It simply solves a problem where a query
doesn't change often, but takes a long time to complete.

I have to say it is one of the easiest Open Source projects I've ever
used.  It literally took about a 1/2 an hour to add support.  A custom
solution would probably have taken days.  More information on that project
is here:

http://baus.net/svnpyblosxom

I'm so happy with it, that I'm considering using it in another context all
together.  I working on a project to cache HTTP proxy rules for fast
retrieval.  I planned on using shared memory, but I think your arguments
against shared memory for web apps apply equally well to my app.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks for releasing it into Open Source....

==
Christopher Baus
http://baus.net/