wild card search on memcache

John McCaskey johnm at klir.com
Thu Feb 17 15:03:27 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 18:20 +1100, Sherman Chan wrote:
> Hi,
> I just play around memcached with PHP, and it's great, but I wonder
> does it supports wild card search, for example I would like to bring
> back all result with the key start with ABC

Not presently supported.

> is that possible to do that?

Of course it is theoretically possible to add this feature, but the
issue is that it would be very slow.  A hash table is used internally to
represent the keys.  Hash tables are great for lookup of an exact value,
but very slow for search for values that match a wildcard type search
(basically have to do a full table scan comparing each key).

--
John A. McCaskey
Software Development Engineer
johnm at klir.com