memcache(3) 1.2.0 released...

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Wed Jan 12 10:59:29 PST 2005

> The one major complaint I have with the current php oo api's (and
> possibly the Ruby api) are that they simply return FALSE (nil for
> Ruby?)
> for an unfound key, thus breaking the ability to store arbitrary binary
> data as I now cannot store a FALSE, or a binary equivalent in memcache.

Nope, you're good to go if you model after the Ruby API.  Ruby returns
nil for not found, true/false for booleans, and an empty string for
well... an empty string.  You can store a nil value, but fetching it...
well, returns a nil without you ever knowing if it worked or not.  This
is something that I'll address with the Memcache::Request object.

> Perhaps, I'll always return as an array('key'=>'value', ...,
> 'keyn'=>'valuen') and the way to determine a miss is simply that the
> key
> does not exist at all, and then NULL or FALSE are valid data from the
> cache.

You could do that.  Actually, that's the best way to handle the
above... didn't think about that.

> If I did this as a php5 module, maybe I'd just throw an exception...
> but
> alas I need to use php4.

Exceptions rule, especially if they're efficiently handled by the
language.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden