setMulti implementation for Java client?

Greg Whalin gwhalin at meetup.com
Wed Jun 1 15:32:30 PDT 2005

Kevin Burton wrote:
> About a month ago  I benchmarked the Java client implementation.
>
> I noticed that using 1 getMulti instead of 1000 individual gets yielded
> a BIG performance improvement (which of course makes a lot of sense).
>
> The problem is that in my cache implementation I needed to do a lot of
> individual sets and since there was no setMulti implementation I was
> actually seeing that my memcached implementation was 8x slower than my
> native mysql only implementation.
>
> I'm trying to build a cache for our Torque OM layer (which has since
> been tricked out and I'd like to OSS some day) where our objects would
> be kept in memcached but with the current individual put implementation
> it was about 8x SLOWER ...
>
> Anyway.. If there aren't any plans for this I might end up implementing it.
>
> Kevin

Are you saying you want a multi-key set in the API?  Or are you saying
you want the java client to support a setMulti method, which will stream
the sets across in one session?  The 2nd one would be simple to add and
should give a performance boost assuming the slowdown is in getting a
connection from the pool.

gw