Lots of small boxes or 1-2 larger caching servers?

David B davidb999 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:01:35 PDT 2005

Hello All,

We have a bunch of 512MB & 1GB memory boxes lying around.
Any thoughts of using those to achieve the 8GB caching we need vs one
box with 8GB.
Obviously there is the space, mgmt, failure rate and power
requirements…and the heat and the configuration and the ops
time..etc…besides all that…what did the Romans ever do for us<g>

But…given that does memcache have any scaling issues with 10-12
servers vs one monolithic box.

Is there a point at which managing all the servers becomes a burden for memc?

And I guess if there is some rule of thumb or calculation...say no
more than 6 servers in a 'cluster' then how do you get beyond
that...separate clusters?

TIA…