Using libmemcache PHP extension on OS X

John McCaskey johnm at klir.com
Sat Mar 5 12:28:52 PST 2005

Hey Gavin,

I'm not sure what to make of this, unfortunately I don't have any OS X
boxes to test on.  See my notes in line towards the end of your email...

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:19 -0800, Gavin Dunne wrote:
> Hey everyone, I'm attempting to use the PHP libmemcache extension on:
>
> Mac OS X 10.3.8
> Apache 1.3.33
> PHP 5.0.3
> libmemcache 1.2.3
> mcache 1.1.2
>
> Configuration and compilation seems to go fine, however on restarting
> apache something goes wrong.  Following is a script of what I've done,
> any help in resolving this would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Gavin.

[snip]
> [...]
> Libraries have been installed in:
>     /Users/gdunne/Src/mcache/modules
>
> If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
> in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
> specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
> flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
>     - add LIBDIR to the `DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
>       during execution
>
> See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
> more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
>
> Build complete.
> (It is safe to ignore warnings about tempnam and tmpnam).
>
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$ sudo make install
> Installing shared extensions:
> /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20041030/
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$
> Chasey:~/Src/mcache gdunne$ sudo apachectl configtest
> Processing config directory: /etc/httpd/*.include
> [Fri Mar  4 15:50:10 2005] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the
> server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
> [Fri Mar  4 15:50:10 2005] [error] Failed to resolve server name for
> 10.0.1.202 (check DNS) -- or specify an explicit ServerName
> Syntax OK
> dyld: /usr/sbin/httpd Undefined symbols:
> __array_init
> __convert_to_string
> __efree
> __emalloc
> __erealloc
> __estrndup
> __object_init_ex
> __zend_hash_add_or_update
> __zend_hash_init
> __zend_list_find
> _add_assoc_double_ex
> _add_assoc_long_ex
> _add_assoc_string_ex
> _add_assoc_zval_ex
> _add_property_resource_ex
> _ap_php_snprintf
> _convert_to_double
> _convert_to_long
> _executor_globals
> _php_info_print_table_end
> _php_info_print_table_header
> _php_info_print_table_row
> _php_info_print_table_start
> _php_var_serialize
> _php_var_unserialize
> _var_destroy
> _zend_error
> _zend_hash_del_key_or_index
> _zend_hash_destroy
> _zend_hash_find
> _zend_hash_get_current_data_ex
> _zend_hash_get_current_key_ex
> _zend_hash_internal_pointer_reset_ex
> _zend_hash_move_forward_ex
> _zend_hash_num_elements
> _zend_list_insert
> _zend_parse_parameters
> _zend_register_internal_class
> _zend_register_list_destructors_ex
> _zend_wrong_param_count
> /usr/sbin/apachectl: line 193: 28743 Trace/BPT trap          $HTTPD -t

Hmmm... Seems like some sort of php probably where it is either a) the
phpize command is not properly configuring the autoconf build stuff for
the module, or b) php's runtime loadable module support is broken?

Are you running any other modules loaded at run time? You could try
compiling the mcache module directly into php rather than as a module.

I'd suggest hitting up the php mailing list as this definitely appears
to be some sort of php/autoconf build configuration issue specific to
your setup.

> Script done on Fri Mar  4 15:50:14 2005

John McCCaskey