memcached Python API development status

Damon Hart dhcom at sundial.com
Tue Mar 15 20:01:44 PST 2005

Hi all -

I have been using the memcached Python API (caching Python objects used
by multiple machines constructed from data in a PostgreSQL database.) I
have noticed both the request for maintainers of this code on the API
web page and an external web page
(http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/jafo_20041212_192853) suggesting
that there was at least one other person interested in supporting this code.

I have some observations about the Python code and would like to see
some features made accessible in Python implemented which are not
present in the Python API.

Are patches posted to the memcached list appropriate in the absence of a
designated maintainer?

What  are the pros and cons of maintaining the current Python API in
comparison to a Python wrapper around libmemcache? The effort to update
and add features to the all-Python API might be seen as superfluous in
the presence of a libmemcache wrapper.  While I can suggest changes to
the current API, I have no experience in creating a wrapper. Is anybody
contemplating/working on one?

thanks

Damon