starting with memcached

Anatoly Vorobey mellon at pobox.com
Thu Mar 17 01:07:17 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:57:00AM +0000, Richard Cameron wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2005, at 01:34, Cahill, Earl wrote:
>
> >Dumb question, but I am in linux, how do I tell if I am using epoll?
>
> 1) Build libevent from source (or, at least, do a ./configure)
> 2) grep HAVE_EPOLL config.h

This shows that epoll was available at the time of building and compiled
into the executable. But if you later run the executable on a different
machine, or upgrade/downgrade the machine, or even if it has the epoll
system header but no actual support in the kernel, due to
misconfiguration, libevent will silently provide a different method at
runtime for memcached.

A better way is to run the built executable thus:

$ EVENT_SHOW_METHOD=1 ./memcached

It will print, at startup, the method chosen by libevent, which will be
epoll if both memcached and the machine it's running on support it.

--
avva
"There's nothing simply good, nor ill alone" -- John Donne