Flushing memcache with -M flag

Matthew Glubb matt at onspeed.com
Tue Nov 1 09:08:52 PST 2005

Hi all,

First message to the list so I'd like to say thanks to Danga for
developing such a useful tool :)

I have a problem regarding flushing the memcache of all data when the -M
flag is invoked at startup. eg:

memcached -d -M -m1 -l127.0.0.1 -p11211

I am attempting to use a cluster of memcache servers as a fast data
server where data never expires and cannot be overwritten unless
explicitly deleted or replaced. For this reason, all of my expiries are
set to zero.

If I don't invoke the -M flag, data is overwritten by new items of data
when allocated memcache memory has been exhausted. I therefore require
the -M flag so that my cluster will fail over to the next memcache
server. All of this is fine and works great. However, when I attempt to
flush the server of data either via:

(php) Memcache::flush() or
telnet 127.0.0.1 11211, flush_all

None of the data is flushed.

Is there a way to force the memcache to flush all of its data from
memory when the -M flag is invoked?

Thanks a lot for your time :)

Matt

m a t t h e w   g l u b b

____
ONSPEED - Wake up your internet

Tel: +44 (0) 2079 524 035
Fax: +44 (0) 8707 051 393
Txt: +44 (0) 7800 140 877
Web: <http://www.onspeed.com/>

PLEASE NOTE ONSPEED IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, MALFUNCTION, OR LOSS
OF DATA, CAUSED AS A RESULT OF FOLLOWING ADVICE ENCLOSED BY THIS EMAIL.
ANY CHANGES SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

are addressed. The opinions expressed in this mail are those of the
author and do not necessarily represent the views of the company. If
you have received this email in error please notify <service at onspeed.com>