PHP memcached extension

Russell Garrett russ at last.fm
Tue Sep 6 08:33:31 PDT 2005

On 6 Sep 2005, at 14:25, Alex Stapleton wrote:

> Hi Russ ;)
>
> Very short timeouts and machine local status tables (in memcached /
> turckmmcache / eaccelerator / whatever you want ) seem to produce
> pretty reliable fail over for us. Throw in some timeout's and
> register_shutdown_functions()s to recheck the server periodically
> and it actually starts to get pretty nice.
>
> As long as your connect() time-out is low enough to merely make it
> look like the page took slightly longer than normal to load, you
> shouldn't have anything to worry about. It means you have a higher
> potential for false positives but we haven't had any of those yet
> with our time-out set to 500 ms.
>
> Even if you use something which has a habit of forgetting about
> keys (e.g. turck) it's not too painful as the failed connection
> attempt ratio still tends to stay low enough to not be particularly
> noticeable.

It *is* you...

No chance on going open-source on your code then? Or I'll have to do
it myself... Someone's got to do it sooner or later.

I was somewhat resigned to doing it myself in the end, but I
completely forgot about eaccelerator as a means of local shared memory.

I'm certainly not going back to a libmemcache-based solution in a
hurry after the amount of grief it's caused me over the various times
I've tried it.

Russ
russ at last.fm